In response to The Daily Post’s writing prompt: “Lucky Star.” Today is your lucky day. You get three wishes, granted to you by The Daily Post. What are your three wishes and why?

Well damn. I just spent 45 minutes writing a poem and before I could save it, WordPress crashed and opened a new document!! I know, I know I should save as I go along, but I get into the creative process and forget. So, a new vow. After this I create in Word and copy into WordPress. But, that doesn’t bring the old poem back. Hard lessons. Okay, starting over again–totally new poem as I can never remember what I’ve written:

Epiphany

A glitch in WordPress lost my wishes–
wiped them clean as fresh-washed dishes.
As though the wishes were taken away
before they saw the light of day.
So I must take a different tack
to try to get those wishes back.

When you wish upon a star
how does that star know where you are?
You are a dot in outer space.
It does not know your name or face.
So you must make those dreams come true–
what no one else can do for you.

No stars can make you lose that weight.
What works is just an emptier plate.
Discipline and time will do
what no wish can do for you.
And yet much easier to wish
than to avoid that favorite dish.

My other wish was for long life
away from illness, grief and strife–
a harder wish to make come true
without some magic helping you.
Diet and exercise once more
might keep me longer from death’s door–

Both things I have to do myself
to keep my place on this world’s shelf.
My third wish was a sort of pact–
a pledge I vowed that I’d enact
if my books began to sell,
I’d bring the plan you know so well

from earlier posts to light of day
and give the money all away
to make a place for language, art,
dance and music all to start.
A cultural center where kids could go
to learn to paint or sculpt or sew.

A place where they’re encouraged to write
so hidden selves could come to light.
A place where they could have a chance
to express themselves in song or dance.
A place with books and art supplies
to fill their hands and hearts and eyes.

My earlier poem was all a dream.
A bit of fluff—a hopeless scheme.
Wishes, wants and hopes and lies.
Visions seen behind closed eyes.
Yet when that poem was lost to me,
I suddenly began to see

How these wishes could all come true–
simply, what I have to do
piece by piece and bit by bit
to start to make the pieces fit.
It is now clear and I can see
the one to grant these wishes is me!

We will see if I stay true to the sudden insight gained by the sacrifice of a better poem than that above, but one that told less of a truth. As I wrote a second poem, I suddenly realized that we really do already have a cultural center in our town. It is the building next to Agustin’s restaurant where we held Camp Estrella—where kids are already learning English, taught by Agustin, as well as music–an orchestra and chorus of 150 kids. All I need to do is to help to expand the program into dance and writing and to do more art activities than the one or two a year I’ve done in the past. Eureka!!! And I don’t have to have a best-seller to accomplish that. I’m going to start today to see what it would take to establish a dance program and I’m sure it would be within my means to sponsor it. I have no kids to support. Why not adopt a lot of them??? Stay tuned for what happens.

A further insight: Is it just coincidence that Camp Estrella was the experience that helped to spark this sudden insight and that the other factor contributing to it is this prompt entitled “Lucky Star?” (You all know estrella means star, right?) I once wrote about the effect synchronicity has had in my life and it seems it has emerged again.  Lets hope I continue to follow its pull.

IMG_2453

17 thoughts on “Epiphany

Everybody is having weird problems on the Internet today. Not me, so far, but it’s making me twitchy. I figure it’ll come here soon.

Epiphany is a wonderful word. And those a fine wishes — first, second, or third time around. If wishes were horses …

I have called Agustin who has assured me we could use the area we used for the first Camp Estrella for a dance program and I’ve emailed Cynthy, the young woman who did the incredible middle eastern dance at our performance to see if she would consider teaching dance. First steps taken. I’m so excited about this. Hopefully other things will follow.

3. vnktchari

Judy, it’s so awesome. I am speechless at your poetry. You could write so wonderful lines. But, I find no words to praise. Enjoyed a lot of all your wishes so rhythmically placed. May God grant all your wishes. Sharing this on my facebook page.

4. Andrea R Huelsenbeck

Wonderful post, great poem, admirable intentions!
    Sometimes when I forget to save a draft in WordPress, the next time I open up a new post I get a message about a previously started draft stored in my browser, and would I like to restore it. It’s saved my butt a couple of times. 😉

I know, but no such luck in this case…It had saved to earlier drafts, but when I opened them, they were totally blank. Oh well, if the earlier poem had been saved , I wouldn’t have written the one that made me see what I’d been overlooking all this time!

5. Soul n Spirit

In that case there is always ‘restore’ showing on the top of a new document and if you click that you can save the one you were working on without click save button in between. I mean I’ve tried that and I got it back. It might work for you too. Very nicely written poem.

Thanks, S & S–yes there was no restore showing…it definitely misfired…I still can’t get that particular post to open–it just spins and spins and says it is a nonresponsive script–it is empty and has no saved drafts…It was very strange. Not only closed down but opened an entirely new empty draft.

6. Mamta Chakravorty

Very touching post, Judy.I’m sure the one you lost to WordPress crashing was equally good. Hope all your wishes come true. Do you happen to talk in poetry too ? Just wondering 🙂 If I were a child spending my days around you, I’m sure I would start loving words, their sound and rhythm. The children at Camp Estella are very lucky. Mamta

I think you were one of the first to follow my blog after I started doing the prompts, Mamta–perhaps even before. Thank you for your steady approval and support! You and Junior!!!

7. bkpyett

Judy, Sorry, but I’m glad the first poem was lost, as this may not have been written. It really works so well, and to hear your dreams and know that you’ll work to bring them about is just wonderful! The photo shows what a joyous community you live in, and I wish you every success in bringing more worthwhile pursuits and happiness to their lives. ❤