This sandwich, which I’ve had for three meals in the past two days is the best sandwich I’ve ever had in my life. If I get enough requests in comments, I’ll put the recipe (sort of) on my blog. Be forewarned. I just assemble ingredients without measuring, so I’ll tell you how I made it but you’ll have to figure out proportions by taste, like I do.
Since a few of you asked, HERE is the recipe for the above pictured barbecued pork sandwich.
This prompt asks questions relating to food. Below are my answers:
1. Do you enjoy food from countries that are not your own? Yes. Thai, Indonesian, Mexican, Italian, Ethiopian.
2. When you prepare salad for yourself, do you rip your greens (lettuce, spinach, &c…), or do you cut them? Shred, then chop into inch long pieces.
3. There’s a saying that goes: “Life is short, eat dessert first.” What do you think of that advice? Good advice as a metaphor, not literally.
4. Have you ever thrown spaghetti against the wall to test for doneness? — If it sticks, it’s done (so they say) — What other such kitchen habits might you have?Nope. Never. Stupid advice and even if it worked, I know I’d have to clean it up so I still wouldn’t.
5. How often do you eat fish? Never ever.
6. When purchasing food for yourself, do you check the nutritional label? If so, what are you checking for? Sometimes for salt and calories.
7. How often do you eat salad as a meal? As an entire meal, once or twice a year, but I eat salad with most meals.
8. Do you have any food quirks? For example: do you arrange a particular food in a certain way before eating? Or eat certain foods in a particular way every time? (i.e.: bite the heads off of gummy bears) I love blue cheese on salads but can’t stand it in any dish that is hot.
9. When boiling water for pasta or whatnot, what are your “tricks” for keeping the water from boiling over? I put a metal spoon or fork in the water.
10. Are there any recipes that have been passed down through the generations in your family? Have you passed them to anyone outside of your family? or are they a closely guarded secret? Scalloped potatoes, meatloaf, steamed steak, ice cream custard from my mother. Stroganoff shepherd’s pie from my sister.
11. In general, how do you feel about “diet” foods? Meaning: foods with artificial sweeteners or alternative fats in them. For example: Diet soda or low fat muffins. I am trying to cut back on diet sodas. I prefer them over regular ones, which I never drink. I use nonfat lactose-free milk and nonfat soy milk. Stevia or no-calories sweeteners.
12. Have you purchased food online? What do you think about that idea? No, except for packages of Schilling/McCormich powdered chili mix or spaghetti mix which is quite expensive in Mexico. When I’m going to the states, I will occasionally order it via Amazon.
13. When cooking for you and yours, what kinds of experiments have you tried? I often cook according to what is in the fridge. I rarely record amounts for recipes I think up..I just cook to taste. See testimony of this in the caption under the lonche (sandwich) above.
14. Do you now, or have you ever, grown or raised any of the food you eat? When I was a little girl, I planted a garden. I can’t remember what was in it, though.
15. Are you a vegetarian? If not, has the idea of becoming one ever crossed your mind? No. No.
16. When arranging the food on your plate, does everything have to be separated, or is it okay for your food to touch? Okay to touch.
17. When eating out, what foods on the menu might push you out of your comfort zone? (for example: pineapple on pizza makes some people twitch) I agree. No pineapple or fresh tomatoes or mushrooms on pizza. No tomatoes on salads. NO FISH or organ meats.
18. Do you have a sweet tooth? If so, what kinds of foods generally satisfy the craving? Ice cream!!!!! Chocolate.
19. What foods (if any) do you like to mix that other people might find strange? Potato chips with ketchup and cottage cheese.
20. When eating out, at what kind of restaurant do you prefer to dine? Mexican or Italian, fast food or Thai.
21. In general, how do you feel about organic food? Good idea but I don’t go out of my way to look for it.
22. What foods (if any) do you eat when you are happy or unhappy? Ice Cream. Potato Chips. Chocolate