The Missing Link

The Missing Link

IMG_4820                                                              Leave a Link?

In the past few months, I’ve started leaving a link when I comment on other people’s blogs.  I had done this in the past, thinking it would make it easier for them to find material written by me that is pertinent to what they have talked about in their blog.  Then I read an article on a blog advice site that said this was tacky and made it look like you were just reading and commenting on another blog to advertise your own.  Embarrassed, I stopped posting any links.

Very promptly, a viewer complained, asking why I hadn’t included a link as she had grown to depend upon them.  I used this as permission to resume the practice.  Since then I have never had a complaint about leaving links, but I’ve had at least a dozen bloggers thank me for doing so.  It makes it so much easier to find the correct spot on my blog that I think they might be interested in, or in some cases, just helps direct them to new material they might have missed if they posted after I did.

I’ve found that this has given birth to so many more conversations and in fact I’ve found the blogging world to be a warm and caring and interactive place–partially due to the facility with which people can find my own thoughts about topics they themselves have written about.

So, dear blogging friends and friends to be, if you are making a comment to me about a specific blog of your own that I’ve commented upon, perhaps you’d consider including a link back to that post on your blog, since by the time I receive your comment on my comment, I’ve probably forgotten the name of your post or how to find it.

I’d love to comment on your comment and since there is so much to write and see and read each day, the less time spent searching the better!  The same is true when you read my blog about a topic you’ve written about.  I would love to read your thoughts.  Help me out by giving a link!!

I’m interested in how you feel about this matter.  Do you feel “used” when I include a link with comments?  That is not the intention.

And now, here is a link back to the Daily Post site:  https://dailypost.wordpress.com/dp_prompt/daily-ritual/

22 thoughts on “The Missing Link

1. Mark Aldrich

I don’t know about blog-iquette rules, but I have been grateful for 1. Your many comments on my site and 2. You including that link, because sometimes I’ve missed you that day in the reader, and I like to read your pieces whether or not they are DP-oriented.

Just so you understand the Byzantine etiquette involved, what I object to are those complete strangers who drop a link into myt comments. They’ve never been there before (I know because I have my blog set up to require permission from me for a first comment). They haven’t read my stuff or even looked at the pictures. They want me to check out their site. Maybe follow them, which is breathtakingly rude. And they inevitably are spammers, with nothing ON their site except advertising and re-blogs of other people’s stuff.

You obviously follow me as I follow you. Did I mention that I’m planning to move in with you as soon as you deal with the scorpions? Did I also mention I’m bringing Garry and the dogs?

I thought maybe you’d found a program that automatically inserts a link to your latest post. I didn’t realize you were doing it by hand. If I could generate a link to include with a comment, I would, but all that copying and pasting … nah.

I know what you mean about the pingbacks that are put in comments with no other comment at all. I never read them. I do appreciate it when people save me the work of searching their blog to find a certain comment they are referring to. With my memory, I’m on to the next thing and the last thing is wiped out of my memory. It takes all my concentration to deal with one thing at a time, yet if someone has gone to the bother of commenting, I want to address their comment with a real answer, not just a polite cloak comment. This is easier if they give me a link to jostle my memory about what we were talking about (as well as remind me what I’ve already said so I don’t repeat it–ha.) I see people who day after day give a one line answer to the prompts or publish someone else’s quote day after day. And, they have 5,000 followers! I know they are playing the game of accumulating as many followers as possible. Of course I love followers and I do check my stats. But I want them to follow me because they like what I write and post and the people I read and comment on are people whose work I like and admire. I don’t leave a link unless I comment and don’t comment unless I want to support the person or have something to say. Or, sometimes I do want them to read my blog to prompt further discussion. The difference lies in motive, I think, and the amount of work you are willing to go to inspire readers and comments. Now, let me give you a link….Ha.

The difference is that you are a real person, looking to engage in a conversation … not a kid spammer looking to increase statistics for his garbage. The least they could do is actually look at the site before they ask you to read theirs. No matter at all. I appreciate the link, though I actually get all you notifications anyway — you are one of the few I haven’t turned off for vacation because I enjoy you and your stories.

I also hate people who completely ignore my very clear statement that I don’t accept those chain letter “awards” and send them anyway. They haven’t read my stuff, don’t know anything about me. They’re just looking for connections. That is what is wrong with those awards. They really ARE spam. No matter how they pretty them up with pictures and flowery text, it’s spam. It encourages people to just go hunting for someone else to take the chain letter and spread it.

When these were first showing up, I think there was a sincerely thing happening, but it has long been lost.

I remember when it used to say they were just for people who had under 200 followers. I can understand them as a way to meet other bloggers as it can be difficult. I now just thank them and sometimes do a post but I never pass them on unless it is a really good prompt–like the one where you wrote to a quote. I altered it by asking readers to give me the quotes which was really fun as I got really really challenging quotes. Then I opened it up to anyone else who wanted to do the same. I know too many wonderful bloggers to have to choose favorites, even if I had the time to. I still do believe that there are sincere people thrilled to be nominated and who really do want to choose blogs they really like. I’ve never felt like any of the awards I’ve been offered were spammers as they’ve all been people who had been following my blog for awhile. I don’t have as many followers as you, however, nor have I been blogging for as long as you, Grandma ;o) –Ha. (We are the same age.) so that probably accounts for your getting more spammers. You are welcome to come visit by the way and I’ll be sure to have the castor beans dealt with by then so you don’t break out in a cold sweat when you see them! When is Bob arriving in your environs and are you renting him a room in your house or do you have another rental? Have fun on your vac. No link attached!!!

I usually suggest they give the awards to newbies who will be grateful for some “love.” But a couple of people have been really persistent. Maybe I’m some sort of big fish they think they can catch? But when you’ve said “thanks, but no thanks” twice, when you get a third hit from the same person … well … I get downright crabby.

In the beginning these WERE well-intentioned. And they didn’t ask for 15 or 20 new names. They asked for two or three nominations. Then someone got ambitious and changed them. The original intention got lost and the whole thing became just another annoying piece of spam. Nothing is so good that it can’t be turned into spam.

I just killed one last night. I perhaps need to get a stronger spray. i like to think they are at least weakened so I have an advantage in our battles. But, as I said before–I don’t think I’ve ever seen one anyplace except in my bedroom, hall and bath. Hmmmm. Gotta think about why.

There must be a crack in a wall or floor or something. We just had yet another mouse wreak havoc in the glove compartment of our car. I have NO idea how they get in, unless they come through the engine. They make such a mess.

Scorpions come up the drains. I try to always keep them stoppered but I forget and Yolanda forgets and they can probably even come through the faucet in the tub. Don’t think there is anything stopping them there…But the fact remains I don’t find them in the other bathrooms, so they probably come through the back door in my bedroom when I leave it open. Don’t know. Perhaps they manifest themselves. Pact with the Devil and all that.

3. granonine

No, Judy, I’ve ever looked at your links as not-so-subtle hints to come read your stuff. I actually feel quite complimented, because it says to me that you are REALLY reading my posts, and not just scanning; that you’d enjoy a conversation. I don’t always have time to follow up, and I do tend to leave a lot of “likes” just so people will know I was there. If I leave a “like” on your post, it is sincere, and I really did read it. I agree with Marilyn about the spammers, and even though some have offered me awards from a sincere heart of appreciation, I no longer participate. I thank the person fo the compliment, but I don’t do chain letters anywhere. Not even here. And, like you, I have come to appreciate the talent, the heart, the quirks and the humor of my fellow bloggers. There just isn’t enough time in the day to speak with each one!

4. Andrea R Huelsenbeck

I sometimes include links in my comments, knowing that the uninterested won’t click. One of the miracles of the internet is the potential for interaction, for networking. I like my blog to be a forum, and I appreciate being able to follow a link to delve in more detail into a topic I want to learn more about.

5. Laura L.

I’m ambivalent. I come from a background/time in the Net when it was seen as very rude to have links routinely posted. Mostly it was about the people whose only comment was the link. I noticed you were doing it like a signature line. I briefly wondered why, and then thought no more about it, because you are a real blogger, with a history with my blog and me with yours. So I thought neither good nor bad about it. 🙂

It was so ingrained in me to never leave a link back to my own in a comment that I had to fight it. Sometimes it really makes sense to give a link.

You can’t please everyone.

Ha. So far everyone has agreed that I am not a self-promoting spammer in regards to giving a link, so I shall continue. And I always appreciate them as well if I know they are from someone who is really wanting to read and be read for purposes other than commercail ones.

6. Retirement Lifestyle / Nomadic Adventurer

This is a great idea Judy and I have noticed your links below and I will follow with doing the same. Although, I use the blogging prompts to initiate some ideas and thought on my novel writing, I have been surprised with the number of award nominations. I quickly discovered the time consumed to complete a nomination. I will soon place a label on my site discouraging the nominations.

My latest posting link is below.