Listed or Listless

The Prompt:  Have you ever made a New Year’s Resolution that you kept?

IMG_0893

Write it down!!!!

Listed or Listless?

Of course I have accomplished my New Year’s Resolutions.  A few times.  Once I did a project with a friend where we each wrote down what we wanted to accomplish.  I believe I had eight things.  Since we illustrated our resolutions, my quotes of what I wanted were scattered throughout my illustrations.  Shortly after we did this, she moved back to the states and in time I forgot my little artwork.

A few years later, I found it when I was cleaning and reorganizing my studio.  I looked at my page, turning it this way and that to read the resolutions that twisted around and through the colored sketches.  I was surprised to find I’d accomplished every one, including losing weight, getting a book published (actually by the time I found it, I’d self-published three books), and finding a partner (now a friend, but nonetheless, I managed to reenter the dating scene after years of still feeling married to my deceased husband.)

I don’t remember what the rest of my resolutions were and a new search of my studio didn’t result in finding it.  Perhaps it requires actually cleaning and reordering the studio to warrant this reward; but, this exercise taught me what I’d learned long before and forgot.  Writing resolutions down has a sort of magic.  I think it moves them to a different, more active part of our brain.  Even though that part of the brain might still be in the subconscious regions, somehow our written-down resolutions sit there as little telepathic cheerleaders, urging us onward to action.

Lest I grow too listless again, I think perhaps it is time to make another list!!!

20 thoughts on “Listed or Listless

1. sarahwbartlett

Yes, the magic – ‘somehow our written-down resolutions sit there as little telepathic cheerleaders, urging us onward to action.’ Thanks for this, and the gentle reminder. Not everything need be in-your-face to count!!

2. KL Caley

Great post Judy! I did this in sorts last year with a notebook that I carried in my bag for encouraging me to write. In the front I listed a few writing goals and although I strayed a little from time to time and I rarely if ever looked deliberately at the list I must have subconsciously skimmed by the page and taken the notes on board as I achieved most of them by the year end. I do find if I make a big dramatic New Years resolution though it doesn’t really stick, so this year I am trying small steps of improvement instead. 🙂

3. Relax...

What the heck, one has nothing to lose and plenty to gain by jotting down, “Meet Johnny Depp.” 😉 In all seriousness, though, good points and I, too, would love to see the illustrations.

4. anndelize

Excellent post! I too had forgotten the power of writing down my goals and resolutions, there’s definitely a kind of ‘magic’ that happens between the act of writing it down and materialising our objectives. Thanks for the reminder. 🙂

5. Leland Olson Hoel

You sound a whole lot more organized than Wonder Woman. There something about writing them down and the subconscious mind. Grounds for a government. Thanks for posting on resolution. What the heck, it is a little late to start my list now, I’ll catch up next year.

6. hirundine608

What I don’t make … I can’t break. Sort of philosophy, from here. Last year I wrote a post around the notion, that has since been lost.

Currently there’s blog challenge going around that takes one hundred and twenty Crayola colours and it requires a post, somehow, on each … flavour? For want of a better word. I could not commit. Likewise I may certainly make resolutions. Yet never because it’s January 1st. Resolutions require determination, not dates. Thanks for your post! Cheers Jamie.

7. calensariel

Writing resolutions down has a sort of magic. I think it moves them to a different, more active part of our brain. Even though that part of the brain might still be in the subconscious regions, somehow our written-down resolutions sit there as little telepathic cheerleaders, urging us onward to action. Hm… I’m going to have to test your theory. Would it be helpful, do you think, if I rewrote them every day???

Well, I think that would be a different process, Calen. Better to devote the time to actually achieving them. I think subconciously, I was often thinking of them, but not consciously. Consciously, I was out achieving them. I think sometimes we get so caught up in saying that we are going to do something that it feels as though we’ve already done it…Or at least it is sort of a consolation prize that takes the place of doing it. But, I also think different people function differently. I am an inductive learner and doer more than a deductive one.