What Will (And Won’t) A Dog Eat?

As I made my evening smoothie, I found the remains of my afternoon meal on the countertop. Hating to waste it, I decided to see what parts of it the dogs would eat. They’d already had their own meal hours before, but this is what I took out to the doggie domain–and the result:  (Click on photos to enlarge and read what happened.)

What will a dog eat? Clearly, everything!!!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , on by .

About lifelessons

My blog, which started out to be about overcoming grief, quickly grew into a blog about celebrating life. I post daily: poems, photographs, essays or stories. I've lived in countries all around the globe but have finally come to rest in Mexico, where I've lived since 2001. My books may be found on Amazon in Kindle and print format, my art in local Ajijic galleries. Hope to see you at my blog.

32 thoughts on “What Will (And Won’t) A Dog Eat?

The Duke eat everything, but sometimes, whatever he had consumed — like, for example entire ballpoint pens and I’m pretty sure he ate a tree branch — give him really indescribably awful gas. We now have a stick NO HUMAN FOOD FOR THE DUKE rule in place. Probably this should give us pause to ponder what WE are eating too!

I don’t often give them human food, but every once in awhile it is sort of like a science project to see if there’s anything they won’t eat. I check first to make sure it is nothing toxic. No I don’t give chocolate, garlic or onions..

2. Andrea R Huelsenbeck

Yes. Omnivorous dogs. Our Ralph usually carries found food over to his mat and thinks about whether he wants to eat it or not. Lettuce usually doesn’t get eaten.
    I once found a dead guppy in my study. The only way it could have gotten there is if Ralph found it on the living room floor (we have an aquarium in there) and brought it into the study to think about it.

Today I was in the studio and went out to take something to Pasiano, who was in the lot below. When I walked past Diego on my way back to the studio, he was chomping on a bone.. but I never give him bones.. Upon investigation I realized it was the head skeleton and beak of a huge sea turtle that a friend found on the beach. It was completely shed of skin and prepared to be mounted on an art piece I was working on. That stinker had nosed the screen door open and went in and stolen this very rare piece! The skeleton was in shards which I collected, but he would not let loose of the beak. How I suffer for art’s sake. Bad Boy!!!

3. bushboy

There was a story of an old bloke who lived by himself in a shack in the mountains. His nephew decided that he should visit the old coot just to make sure he was doing OK. He arrived and was greeted by the old bloke who insisted he stay for lunch. The old shack was clean but not as clean as the young fellow would have liked. He was a bit hesitant in eating with the old bloke given the less than ideal conditions but didn’t want to offend.
    He was in the kitchen and all the pots and pans and plates were spotlessly clean. He said “How do you get the pots and pans so clean?” The old man answered “Coldwater” as he kept preparing the meal. He then asked “How do you get the plates so clean Uncle?” The old man answered again “Coldwater”.
    After they finished the meal, they went to the verandah for a drink and a smoke. “Didn’t you have a dog,” the nephew asked.
    “Sure do” the old man said. He stood at the edge of the verandah, let out a loud whistle and yelled “Coldwater, come here boy”

Diego will do the same given th opportunity. Every time he gets into the house he heads right for the kitchen and, regrettably, the garbage can. Needless to say, we do oursocializing outside. Remember the time he ate three dozen cookies? Or the time he ate a skillet full of pork chops intended for my dinner guests? Hungry boy.

4. Leslie Johansen Nack

Isn’t that the truth about dogs. They will eat anything. We have our son’s dog now, Alice, a year old heeler, and she is very motivated by food. I tell David that Alice watches every move I make in the kitchen so I’m sure she’ll be a great cook one day… hahaha

5. Eilene Lyon

Kinda depends on the dog. My first dog would eat anything at all. The others have been more particular. The one we have now has allergies, so some nights he doesn’t get to do the dishes.😆

6. Pets Professors

Hey i guess you have dogs…. well if u do, then uou can actually sebd ne the videos of your pets and i will feature them on my yiutube channel. .. for more information such as how to enter ,visit my website @pets professors.

7. addctd2plants

I have Leonbergrs, which I’m positive are not really dogs, but furry humans. For several years when we had the melamine in dog food scare, I cooked them custom meals. To make sure a giant dog gets the correct nutrition is not easy, so I really used a wide variety of fruits and veggies. My male Leo, “Aslan” made me so mad because he used to go into my vegetable garden if hungry and eat anything from watermelons to tomatoes. There was nothing he didn’t like LOL He also had a habit that was unique to him. Every day at about 3-4 pm, he would go stand at this huge fruit bowl I had. We had 8 children and lots of fresh fruit. He would bark till one of the children came to show him one of each of the kinds of fruit in it. Then he’d pick his fruit snack LOL He was such a character! If it was an apple they cut it up for him in bite sized pieces, banana…they’d peel it. He’d eat peaches, cantaloupe, blueberries…ANYTHING!

8. High on Pugz

Its suprising how much my Dogs manage to scavenge from the floor! What’s more, they still expect to have my leftover takeaways. Even thoughts never even been a thing? I call them optimists