Daily Diatribe

An acquaintance recently commented on Facebook that I should “Give it a rest, Judy!” My answer is that I’m not rioting or burning buildings or occupying state capitol buildings with guns or expressing my feelings by licking meat in grocery stores or coughing in people’s faces. What I am doing is saying what I believe daily, hoping that somewhere, somehow, I’ll sway at least one person to reason. Probably won’t happen. Our country is so firmly divided now that even something catastrophic just seems to pull us more widely apart. It is perhaps the era of our decline that all great cultures in the past have fallen to, but there are ways to fight other than stubbornly and violently standing up purely for one’s own needs and this is my way. So here it is—my:

Daily Diatribe

I’m on permanent curfew, and I don’t give a darn.
I’ll sort out all my closets and finally sort my yarn
by strand size and by color. I’ve been wanting to for years.
I’ll attend to all those “To Do” lists I owe on in arrears.

I’m respecting all the rules—wearing face masks, washing hands.
I’m not rioting or protesting or taking racist stands.

I’m staying home and hoping justice will have its day.
I’m not quoting out of context but I am having my say!

For those who say it’s patriotic doing what you want to—
coughing in people’s faces in an effort just to flaunt you,
I want to say, “How infantile.” If you were mine, I’d spank you.
But for those living with reason, I want to express a “Thank you.”

Those led by a fool with be drawn to foolish action.
If you glorify a sociopath, you’ll be joined in that faction
by white supremacists and bigots. Kindly look around you.
How can the folks who share your views not shock you and astound you?

It’s said you may be judged by the company you keep,
and the seeds that you now sow will be the harvest that you reap.

Prompt words for today are curfew, yarn, respect, justice and context.

42 thoughts on “Daily Diatribe

1. SAM VOELKER

As you may know I try to keep most of my ANGER to my Facebook which is not as public, and the “friends”, which are a selective few on it, can either like it or leave, I need a place to blow off steam~! In the meantime I do think that we should speak out as we also try to do. My only problem on Facebook are a few relatives which I must keep, even if they may be “red neck Trumpets” (HA~!)

1. SAM VOELKER

Neither do I…. if I have one who tries to use my FB as a platform it is easy to fix. I just send a note and saying “That is easy to fix.” zap~!!! I keep my FB right at 80 true friends.. if I get a new one, I look for one that is not paying attention…

1. Laureen

Never, never, never give it up Judy. Until change happens, continue to write the words that bring awareness to where it needs to be. I don’t really think change will happen on the scale it needs to, until the pos potus is out of the WH. However, as long as people like you put it out there, who are willing to express themselves, it will be the “Never Forget” and “Black Lives Matter” reminders. Apparently, many people haven’t “gotten” it yet, sadly.

Thanks, Laureen. Your words helped renew my resolve. How can so many nice people be so misguided? I think it is because they are looking at two issues only: abortion and their pocket books.

2. slmret

Well said! We’re on alert for 2 separate protests this week — a peaceful one today by a nearby CVS and a more violent one on Friday evening. I’ll be at home doing my normal things,and hoping they don’t invade residential areas!

1. slmret

There have been flyers sent out — it’s been said that the flyers appear to be similar to those put out by Antifa. The info comes from a neighborhood chat site, so may be completely inaccurate, but it’s good to be alert..

1. slmret

Thanks, Judy! For now, it appears that homes are not being targeted — just businesses. In the area where I live, this alert may turn out to be a complete bust — and the alert may simply be agitation. I’m staying home still for covid-19, which keeps me home for other purposes as well. I’ll do whatever I need to — but home is probably my safest place! The overall mood is terrible here — a combination of anger, shock, disgust, anguish, etc. It may be that what has happened will be enough to bring Trump down. His base seems to have gone underground at this point! I’m hopeful, but I’m also on high alert!

2. slmret

I think, though, that there’s a difference between seeing the base out there supporting Trump and seeing evidence of them. I agree that every Biden-basher could be a Trump supporter, although there are those who don’t like either, and will vote for an Independent.

3. Christine Goodnough

When I read your posts it’s not what you’re saying, because what you’re saying could be very true. I don’t have the US political smarts to refute any of it and I’ve heard other similar thoughts. What I pick up on is the anger that seems to be building up in you and coming out in your posts as vitriol, mainly against one person. I count you as a friend, albeit a distant one, and worry about you, because acid eats its own container. Acid is acid, no matter who it’s consuming or for what cause.

I agree with all you say, Christine, but occasionally there is a villain in this world that deserves the vitriol and not to express it signals complicity. This man could bring about the world as we know it and already has in a sense. It my mind, not to speak up is being complicit in the incredible damage he has caused to our society, our environment, our economy and in fact the entire world, sold off our national parks and opened them up to drilling. He has killed children, molested women, robbed from the poor to give to the rich, stripped our government of leaders that are not self-serving and on the take to the NRA, stirred and condoned violence, padded the pockets of his cronies and family members with contracts and funds that should have gone to better-trained and more able applicants. He is ill-spoken, ignorant and sleazy and I resent the worst side of our society that he has brought out. Enough bad cannot be said of him and it is fitting that everyone able to do so makes this be known. If this were festering inside of me as vitriol, that’s what would be killing me. In letting it out not in violent action but in truthful words, I am saving myself and trying to save my world. And yours. I appreciate your concern, but believe me, I am not festering. I’m enjoying my environment, trying to help my community in any way possible, helping friends as they are helping me, being creative, petting my animules, watching my garden grow, feeding the birds and in touch with lots of friends who daily send me love and cheer. I am not being eaten, and as testimony to this I’ll say that regrettably I haven’t lost a pound in the past three months. Yes, I am angry. But justifiably so. It’s not building up. I’m not going to explode. But neither will I stop talking. Today it is about this. Hopefully, soon, it will be about other things because this ill wind will have blown away. xox

4. Fandango

Don’t give it a rest, Judy. That’s what they want you to do, so that what is anything but normal appears to be normal until the abnormal suddenly becomes the “new normal.”

5. rugby843

I feel the same.  I am isolated, I cant get out to protest but I feel free to express my opinions here.  That may change as I try to see “the light” but today isn’t one of those days

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Sometimes I feel the same.. as though I’m actually going to see the end of the human race. I know that historically this has happened so often before but now we have such powerful weapons!!!

6. lindakempwriter

I think your acquaintance on FB should shut the hell up. Seriously, what is the point of a personal SM site if you (ie the owner of the content on that page) can’t express their opinions and thoughts.
    Thinking of you and the US right now.