- What was the very first popular song you ever remember taking a liking to? I’m not talking about children’s songs or old traditional songs… but the kind of songs you’d hear on the radio. It was 1951 and I was 4 years old. “If You Turn Me Down-de-own-down-down” was the first song I can remember. I loved it and know all the words to this day, “If you turn me down de own down down, I’ll go off to Missouri, and I’l l buy me a mule, a mule with great big ears to tell my troubles to…..” Peggy Lee sang it and later, Dinah Shore did, too.
- Are you one of those people who get queasy at sight of blood, or could you watch an open heart surgery? I can’t even watch medical shows. I get dizzy at the sight of blood and to watch an operation? Impossible. I can’t watch fight scenes or anything that involves violence on TV or in the movies, let alone in person. I was invited to sit in the VIP box of a Sonny Liston fight once in Vegas because I’d made his promoter’s wife a pair of earrings and I had to sit with my eyes closed. Luckily, it was a knockout in the first round. Well, not lucky for his opponent.
- Who or what do you feel is lurking right behind you, just waiting to ambush you and make your life a living hell (or “heck” for those with delicate sensibilities)? I always felt like Ted Bundy or some other serial killer was going to get me. Actually, one did and I escaped and have never had that fear again.
- What is the gaudiest thing you have ever worn? My wedding dress. No lie. It was an off-the-shoulder turquoise peasant blouse with a many-banded full gypsy skirt by Anna Konya. And pink suede cowboy boots. I still have it.
5.Fess up! What was something you did as a child that got you into BIG trouble? I took a Tootsie Roll Pop from a glass dish in our neighbor’s basement, where I was playing while my mom talked to the lady who lived there. My mom saw me with it after I got home and made me take it back and confess that I’d taken it. The lady said that was all right, that that was what they had put them in the dish for–for people to help themselves.
- (Gratitude Question – Always Optional): What are you looking forward to as the festive season approaches? My cousin Kirk is coming to visit me. I haven’t seen him for 10 or more years. He’s staying for two weeks. Then I’m thinking of going to Phoenix to visit my sister Patti and her husband Jim for Xmas. We shall see.
These questions were answered for the prompt: Squirrely Share Your World, Nov 1, 2021