Surprising Thoughts

Should I be embarrassed to admit that at the age of 74, I  still feel like a kid thrilled to be able to live as an adult?

Join Me!!!

The next time you find yourself thinking a surprising thought, write it down and send it to me here. Above is my own surprising insight that caused me to extend the invitation for you to share yours as a comment below. Links to blogs are fine.

24 thoughts on “Surprising Thoughts

1. okcForgottenMan

You and I have this weird cosmic flip-flop synchronicity. (Is that a thing?) About 90 minutes ago I was cleaning my kitchen – LONG overdue – when that old song floated into my head: “I don’t wanna grow up, I don’t wanna go to school…” I realized I was actually pouting about cleaning MY OWN kitchen. I realized that I have NO business calling myself an adult! (Note to new readers: I’m 70 friggin’ years old, living alone.) Why don’t I have a minder, a nanny, a fairy godparent to come in once a week to smack me up side of my head and say “GROW UP!”?! (Well, partly because we’re in a plague and nobody but NOBODY is getting past my door!!)

Ok, rant over. Can I go play now? Kitchen’s almost clean. Puh-leeze?!?!

That is amazing. My similar flash was when I got the leg cramp as we were Skyping each other and left my computer to go into the bathroom to blow hot air on my leg with the hair dryer because I was too lazy to go out to the hot tub to soak it and I caught sight of a single earring I’ve been meaning to make a mate for for two years since I lost its other one. Distracted from my original purpose, I started taking apart the matching necklace and a half hour later, my cramp had vanished and I had transformed the necklace into a match for my formerly single earring and a new bracelet. I then had a flash that I’d like to find an upbeat movie to watch in spite of the fact that it was 12:30 AM, and I suddenly felt this surge of joy that I could do anything in the world I wanted to do that was legal and no one would be telling me not to. No rules!!! I’m a kid with no rules.

2. Miriam

Oh, I absolutely love your thoughts here Judy. And I can so relate. Sometimes I feel like a kid, a mere 16 year old in my 56 year old body. Ain’t life grand! Enjoy all that energy, all those random thoughts and that timeless youth. 😊

Miriam, my mother, who died at the age of 91, told me when she was in her eighties that she had never in her life felt older than 16 years old!!! That’s about the age that I feel, too. You and I would make good playmates.

4. lssattitudeofgratitude

I was in my water therapy today. It was so wonderful. But, I kept thinking that I didn’t want to do the required exercises that are doing me so much good. I really wanted to swim about in the wonderful 90 degree pool. I to;d muself to act my age. LOL

My friend who suffered in the past from psoriasis couldn’t take it, either. These are mineral hot springs and the water comes in hot. We don’t put any chemicals in the water..It is glorious. It is heated by a nearby volcano, of all things. Who would ever dream?

5. tgeriatrix

I am 73 and luckily I don’t feel my age. I am waiting for the end of this Corona time to travel, to ski …and do all the other things. I always wonder when people ask me: are you still doing… (whatever).

6. Pingback: Surprising Thoughts — lifelessons – a blog by Judy Dykstra-Brown | My Mixed Blog

7. Eilene Lyon

I love how you and Forgotten Man are so in touch with your younger, lighter sides (attitude, not weight, please). I was born old, I think. I’m trying to work my way backward. I think I’m going to post about my diary from age 14 on Thursday. Do stop by!

Please send a link to my blog so I don’t miss it. Tomorrow is a crazy-busy day and I won’t get to reading blogs until late. Will get up early to post some. By time I get to it it may be far down in notifications and I might not see it.

And as for Forgottenman and me sharing that side of our personality, you have it to a tee… that and both being word and/or punctuation obsessed and night owls. And we love the same music. What more can one ask of a comrade except loyalty. Check that as well.

8. Pingback: Surprising Thoughts – Nelsapy